Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Resting in the Shadow of the Almighty

As a homeschooling mom of two very active boys, I often feel weary.  I'm sure that most mothers can relate to the feeling of "just one more thing to do."  The dishes, laundry, discipline, and training are never ending.  I am thankful for the rest that a good night sleep provides. 

Lately, God has been dealing with me about the rest that my spirit needs.  If I wake up and hit the ground running, without taking the time to stop and spend time with Him in His Word, I feel worn out and undone come bedtime.  Slowly, I am learning that true rest comes from Him.  Psalm 91 says, "He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty."  Rest for my soul comes from spending that precious time in His presence, reading His Word and conversing with Him in prayer.  Psalm 91:4 paints a beautiful picture of rest, "He will cover you with His feathers, and under His wings you will find refuge; His faithfulness will be your shield and rampart." 

Last spring, a robin made it's nest under our deck.  We had a great vantage point from our basement window.  I loved watching that mama bird taking care of her little babies.  Every time she flew to the nest, I just thought for sure that she would smash one of her babies.  As I watched her, I thought about how cozy those baby birds felt under the shelter of her wings. Psalm 91:4 came to mind.  Isn't that how God wants me to feel; all snug and cozy under His shadow; resting in His presence?

I know this seems a bit simplistic, but this is the area of my walk with Christ that I have struggled the most.  I've often wondered why is something so simple, so hard.  I believe, it is because the enemy wants to keep me tired and weary.  I will be the least productive when I'm tired.  As mothers, we will be the least effective when we are weary.  So I will listen to what Jesus says in Matthew 11:28 and I encourage you to do the same, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest."


*Ann Voskamp at A Holy Experience is offering a scholarship opportunity to attend the She Speaks Conference.  "She Speaks is about women connecting the hearts of women to the heart of Father God."  I'm finding my voice and would like to win the scholarship, if you'd like to join me go to:
http://www.aholyexperience.com/2011/03/how-christians-create-art-she-speaks-scholarship/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+HolyExperience+%28Holy+Experience%29&utm_content=Yahoo%21+Mail

No comments:

Post a Comment